Are you looking for a cake recipe that takes only 15 minutes to make, is super healthy, vegan, raw, paleo-friendly, low in carbs and high in protein, free from refined-sugar, gluten and dairy….and most importantly tastes addictively delicious? Then you have to try this luscious Raw Choc Raspberry Cake.
The cake is made with rice syrup; a wonderful sweetener to use as it is free from fructose, is filled with essential nutrients, is low-glycemic, and has a smooth gentle flavour that doesn’t overpower. You could always substitute with maple syrup, coconut syrup or raw honey, but the result will be quite a bit sweeter.
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 1 hour setting time
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans (activated if possible)
- 1 cup fresh soft dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan or unrefined salt
- 2 medium avocados
- 1/2 cup rice syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups raspberries (frozen or fresh)
1. To make the base put the walnuts, dates, coconut oil, 1/3 cup cacao powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor or a very powerful blender and pulse until combined and sticking together.
2. With your hands firmly and evenly press this mixture into a cake tin with a removable base, either a round springform pan approximately 22com in diameter or a rectangular tart tin with a loose base about 30cm x 10cm.
3. Then make the second layer by placing, again in the food processor, 1/3 cup cacao powder, 1/2 tsp salt, avocados, rice syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and 1 cup raspberries. Blend until smooth and creamy, then spread this mixture over the base.
4. Cover and place the tin the freezer for at least 1 hour to set before decorating with the extra raspberries.
5. The cake will keep for at least a week in the freezer, though don’t leave it out of the freezer for too long or it will melt.
- Replace the raspberries with fresh strawberries or pitted cherries when they are in season.
- Use macadamias, hazelnuts, pecans or pistachios instead of the walnuts.
- Decorate the cake with goji berries, edible flowers, coconut flakes, pistachios, mint leaves or strawberries.