- 1 tbsp butter, or olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour, wheat or spelt
- 2 cups hot milk, full cream, skim or soy
- ½ tsp each grated nutmeg and ground ginger
- 500g Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and cut into very thin slices
- 500g sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½ cm slices
- ½ cup good melting cheese, such as cheddar
- 1/3 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs, wheat or spelt
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 170C. Melt butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion, cook until soft, then stir in flour. Slowly pour in milk and whisk until mixture thickens and is smooth, about 5 minutes. Season with nutmeg, ginger, salt and pepper.
Layer Jerusalem artichokes and sweet potatoes into an oiled medium casserole dish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Pour over white sauce, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender.
Increase oven to 250C. Mix cheese, breadcrumbs and parsley. Remove foil, sprinkle over cheese mixture, and return to oven until top is nicely browned, about 5-10 minutes.
- Mash Jerusalem artichokes together with sweet potato or potato.
- Roast Jerusalem artichokes with garlic, olive oil and herbs.