Who doesn’t love a good banana bread for morning tea? Cut yourself a thick slice, brew a pot of your favourite tea, slather the bread with butter and sit in the sun! Mmmmm…
This banana bread is yummy, moist, extremely easy to make, high in protein and completely free of gluten, grains and refined-sugars. Can it get any better than that?
As the bread isn’t too sweet it also would be perfect for breakfast, toasted and spread with a little butter, coconut butter or almond butter.
Coconut, Almond Banana Bread - Grain, Gluten and Sugar Free
- 1 1/2 Cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt , unrefined
- 4 Tsp Baking Powder , aluminium-free
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 6 Large Organic Eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/2 Cup Rice Syrup
- 1/3 Cup Melted Coconut Oil , or butter
- 4 Large Bananas , very ripe, about 2 cups, mashed
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Flakes , for topping
- Preheat oven 170C (150C fan-forced oven). Brush a loaf tin with coconut oil or butter and line with baking paper, ensuring there is enough paper hanging over the sides for easy removal.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients together.
- Put the eggs, rice syrup, coconut oil, bananas and vanilla in another bowl and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir together but do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the tin, top with the flaked coconut, and bake for 60 minutes or until cooked through. If the coconut flakes begin to brown too much, cover the tin with some baking paper.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then lift out with the baking paper. Let the banana bread completely cool before slicing.
- Add 1 cup of chopped, activated pecans, walnuts or almonds.
- Try maple syrup, coconut nectar or honey in place of the rice syrup.
- Stir through a cup of raw cacao nibs, or a cup of your favourite naturally-sweetened chocolate chopped into small pieces.
- A delicious variation would be to replace the cinnamon with Herbies Fragrant Sweet Spices; a lovely blend of coriander, cassia, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, poppy seeds, cloves, green cardamom and rose petals - available at The Health Emporium.
- Add 1 cup of raspberries or blueberries (either fresh or frozen and thawed) to the batter.
- Try hazelnut meal instead of almond.
- Replace the coconut flakes on top of the banana bread with some chopped nuts.