This Persian Love Cake, gorgeously fragrant with beautiful Middle Eastern spices, is moist, delicious and so very easy to prepare. It is grain and gluten free and a lot less sweet than most versions.
You will need a 22cm springform cake tin for this recipe.
Persian Love Cake
- 3 cups Almond Meal , blanched
- 1/2 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 1 & 1/2 cups Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120g) Butter , softened
- 1 pinch Salt , Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 large Organic Eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup Thick Natural Yoghurt
- 4 tsp Herbie's Fragrant Sweet Spice Mixture* , or 1 tsp each ground nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Pistachios , roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Dried Chemical Free Rose Petals** , optional
- 1 cup Creme Fraiche, Thick Cream or Yoghurt , for serving
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan-forced).
- Butter a 22cm springform cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the almond meal, desiccated coconut, coconut sugar, butter and salt and mix until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the cake tin and gently press it evenly over the base.
- Add the eggs, yoghurt and spices to the almond mixture and beat until well combined. Pour over the base and smooth the top.
- Place the cake on a baking tray before putting it in the oven . It is always a good idea to do this with springform tins just in case they do not completely seal.
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cover the cake if it is browning too much during cooking.
- Leave the cake in the tin until completely cooled, sprinkle over the chopped pistachios and rose petals. Serve with creme fraiche, thick cream or extra yoghurt on the side.
- *Herbies Fragrant Sweet Spice mixture is a gorgeous blend of coriander, cassia, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, poppy seeds, cloves, green cardamom and rose petals, available at The Health Emporium.
- **At The Health Emporium we sell the Herbie's Chemical-Free Dried Rose Petals.