There is nothing more delicious than a salted caramel apple on a sunny autumnal day and this healthy, super easy homemade version, using gorgeous new season organic apples, is just the perfect synergy of buttery caramel and crisp apple with a hint of saltiness. They will undoubtedly be the most popular treat at any children’s birthday party….for both the kids and the adults! Use organic apples as they are free from chemicals and are unwaxed – wax will prevent the caramel sticking to the apples.
Salted Caramel Apples
- 6 small Organic Apples
- 6 Wooden Sticks
- 1/2 cup Organic Honey
- 2/3 cup Coconut Sugar
- 60 grams Pastured Butter
- 1 tsp Salt , Himalayan or sea
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof or parchment paper and stick a wooden ice block stick or thick wooden skewer into each apple.
- Chill the apples in the fridge while you are making the salted caramel, as having cold apples will help the caramel stick to the apples.
- Put the honey, coconut sugar, butter, salt and vanilla into a small saucepan and place over a medium heat.
- Stirring constantly, bring the caramel to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and carefully roll the apples in the caramel, coating each in a thick layer.
- Place the apples on the tray and then put into the fridge to cool for at least 30 minutes. Store the toffee apples in the fridge.
- Decorate the apples by rolling them in chopped nuts, dried coconut or cacao nibs.
- To make these toffee apples dairy-free replace the butter with coconut butter.