Spring has sprung in Sydney so to celebrate this week we are making a beautifully fresh and easy-to-make Pea and Mint soup.
Pea and Mint Soup
- 2 tbsp Pastured Butter
- 1 small Leek , or 4 shallots or 1 brown onion
- 1 stalk Celery
- 1 clove Garlic , crushed
- 2 cups Chicken Bone Broth , or chicken stock
- 500 grams Frozen or Fresh Peas
- 1/2 medium Cos Lettuce , or iceberg
- 1/2 cup Mint Leaves , chopped
- 1/2 cup Creme Fraiche or Sheeps Yoghurt , optional
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over a low heat.
- Add finely sliced leek and celery. Cook gently until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and then pour in chicken broth.
- Add peas and sliced lettuce. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, adding a little more broth or water if necessary.
- Stir in mint leaves then puree soup until smooth with a stick blender.
- Add salt and pepper, taste for seasoning and serve topped with a dollop of creme fraiche or yoghurt.
- Try this soup with kale, spinach, zucchini or broccoli in place of the lettuce.
- Top the soup with ricotta, fetta or goats cheese instead of the creme fraiche.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to each bowl of soup.
- Add 3 sliced rashers of bacon when cooking the leek.