This cucumber salad with its fresh Japanese flavours is so light, crisp and refreshing and incredibly easy to make. It is the perfect accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken.
Japanese Cucumber Salad
- 3 medium Lebanese Cucumbers , sliced
- 1 green shallot , finely sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds , lightly toasted
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves , chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes , or finely sliced fresh red chilli
- 4 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp tamari or shoyu
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or sea salt
- Mix all of the salad ingredients and toss through dressing. Serve immediately.
- Store any leftover dressing in a jar in the refrigerator.
- Instead of slicing the cucumbers shave them into long slices with a vegetable peeler.
- Add some finely sliced carrot, radish and/or daikon.