This simple but very delicious Italian soup is filled with veggies and enriched with a stracciatella mixture of eggs, finely grated cheese and parsley. Stirred through at the end it gives the soup added protein, extra nutrition, a velvety texture and lots of flavour.
The soup reheats and freezes very well so if you make a big pot on a Sunday evening you will be set for quite a few lunches and dinners throughout the week.
The vegetables can be varied with any that you like and are in season. Spinach, silverbeet, cannellini beans, borlotti beans, cabbage, peas or green beans would all be lovely additions.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup
- 3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 large onion , cut into small dice
- 3 large carrots , cut into small dice
- 2 stalks celery , cut into small dice
- 2 small fennel bulbs , cut into small dice
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves , finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano , or dried Italian mixed herbs
- 1 litre chicken bone broth , or stock
- 500 grams pumpkin , peeled and diced
- 1 small bunch kale , hard stems removed and thinly sliced
- 1 large zucchini , cut into small dice or grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 large organic eggs
- 1/2 cup parmigiano reggiano or parmesan cheese , finely grated
- 1/2 cup parsley , finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil or butter in a large pot and then add the onion, celery, fennel, carrots and 1 tsp of salt. Cover and cook gently until the vegetables are very soft and lightly browned, stirring occasionally. This will take about about 20 minutes and will make a delicious flavour base for the soup.
- Stir in the garlic, rosemary and oregano.
- Add the chicken bone broth, pumpkin, kale and zucchini. Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Top up with more broth or with water if necessary while cooking.
- Make the stracciatella while the soup is cooking by whisking the eggs, cheese and parsley together.
- Remove the pot from the heat, season the soup with salt and pepper, then whisk the egg mixture into the soup for about 30 seconds and serve.