Easy and simple to prepare, these delicious eggplants showcase a lovely sweet, salty, umami-rich miso glaze that is packed with flavour.
We recommend using Meru Miso in this dish, as Meru make the most beautiful organic, Australian-made, small-batch products that are a powerhouse of prebiotics, probiotic bacteria and enzymes.
Serve the eggplants alongside the Green Bean Salad with Best Ever Miso Dressing (you can find the recipe on our website), or they are lovely as a side dish to chicken or fish.
Miso Sesame Eggplant
- 2 medium Eggplants
- 1 tbsp Toasted Sesame OIl
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt
- 3 tsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 Green Shallots , sliced finely
- 2 tbsp White Miso
- 2 tbsp Mirin
- 1 tbsp Rice Syrup , or maple syrup
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame OIl
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthways, then lightly score them in a criss-cross pattern and sprinkle with salt.
- Line a tray with baking paper, place the eggplants face down and roast for 30 minutes or until very soft. Test they are down by inserting a fork into the flesh.
- While the eggplants are cooking make the miso glaze by stirring all the ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven, turn them over and brush liberally with the miso glaze. Change the oven to the grilling function and place the eggplants under the griller for 2 minutes, until lightly caramelised.
- Top the eggplants with sesame seeds and shallots.
- The miso glaze is also wonderful on other roasted or chargrilled veggies, such as pumpkin, carrots, zucchini, sweet potato, cauliflower and broccoli.