A healthy version of a winter tradition, this is a fantastic, warming and hearty dish is great to serve for a casual supper with friends, and mild enough for your kids to enjoy. It’s bursting with antioxidants and vitamin-rich vegetables, grass-fed beef and beans to up your protein intake.
Add extra chillies if you like it spicier. This recipe also freezes and reheats very well.
Chilli Con Carne
- 1 tbsp Butter , or ghee or coconut oil
- 2 medium Onions , diced
- 2 stalks Celery , diced
- 2 medium Carrots , diced
- 3 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Himalayan or Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper , freshly ground
- 500 g Minced Beef , grass-fed and finished
- 1 kg Very Ripe Tomatoes , diced or equivalent of tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 cup Beef or Chicken Bone Broth , or stock or water
- 3 tsp Rice Syrup , or maple syrup
- 6 medium Mushrooms , diced
- 2 Red Capsicums , seeded and diced
- 2 cobs Corn , kernels cut off
- 400g tin Kidney Beans , drained & rinsed
- 400g tin Black Beans , drained & rinsed
- 1 cup Fresh Coriander , leaves and stems, chopped
- Rice , brown, red or basmati rice or quinoa, for serving
- 1 Lime , cut into wedges, for serving
- Guacamole , see recipe below
- Sour Cream or creme fraiche or thick yoghurt
- Heat butter in a large pot, add onions, celery, carrots and garlic, and cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in spices, salt, pepper and beef mince. Cook stirring to break up the mince, until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, bone broth, rice syrup, mushrooms, capsicum and corn, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the kidney, black and green beans, stir and then cook for another 15 minutes, add more water if necessary.
- Taste for seasoning, stir through coriander, and serve with a green salad and your choice of rice or rice, lime wedges, guacamole and a spoonful of sheep's yoghurt, sour cream or creme fraiche.
To make guacamole mash two ripe avocados together with a fork until it's very smooth. Add the juice of one lime, 2 tbsp of finely chopped coriander, and season with salt and pepper. Add a little chopped Spanish onion or shallots, if desired. Optional Ideas:
If you find kidney beans and black beans difficult to digest just leave them out.
To make this into a vegetarian chilli replace the beef with more mushrooms, kidney beans and black beans.
If you are avoiding carbs, serve the chilli over baby spinach leaves or in lettuce cups.