One can never have enough salad recipes in the kitchen drawer, especially when there are delicious vegetables in season. Raw red cabbage is one of them, being the most nutritious and best tasting veggies of the Winter season. It’s packed with powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients, and it has anti-inflammatory benefits.
This salad below is perfect for a cool Autumn night. Serve it for dinner with grilled fish or chicken, or with a side of quinoa. Or have it for a light lunch with goat’s cheese, with a side of rye sourdough. It is also good the next day in a sandwich or wrap.
Shaved Red Cabbage and Apple Salad
- 1/4 Red Cabbage 1
- Green Apple
- 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Parsley Finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mint Finely chopped
- 1 Tsp Caraway Seeds
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Sea Salt Unrefined
- Black Pepper Freshly ground
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts Activated, roughly chopped
- Shave the cabbage very finely, either with a mandolin (if you have one which does make the job very easy) or with a sharp knife.
- Quarter and core the apple (no need to peel it, or you will loose all the lovely nutrients), then slice it very finely and immediately squeeze over the lemon juice to prevent oxidisation.
- Toss together the cabbage, apple, herbs, caraway seeds, vinegar, olive oil, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve scattered with the walnuts.
Add finely shaved raw fennel, brussel sprouts or radishes.
Toss through some sliced red onion or shallots.
Try sliced pear (in-season and so lovely at the moment) instead of apple.
Replace the walnuts with hazelnuts, almonds or pepitas.
Use balsamic or red wine vinegar instead of apple cider.
Add some shaved parmesan or pecorino.
For a creamier version stir through a few tablespoons of creme fraiche or yoghurt.