There is no more delicious way to finish a meal in summertime than with a gorgeous pavlova. This recipe would make a great dessert for Christmas Day or a lovely birthday or celebration cake. In this pav I’ve used beautiful organic coconut sugar as it has a lovely caramelised flavour, is rich in minerals such as magnesium and zinc, has a low GI, is minimally processed and is an extremely sustainable product.
Cacao Raspberry Pavlova
- 6 Large Egg Whites Organic*
- 300 G Coconut Sugar 1 1/3 cups
- 3 Tbsp Cacao Powder Raw
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 50 G Dark Chocolate Grated (I recommend the Pana Raw Cacao Chocolate or the Loving Earth Organic Dark Chocolate, as they are organic, raw and free from refined-sugar)
- 500 Ml Cream Organic, creme fraiche or mascarpone
- 3 Punnets Raspberries Fresh
- 30 G Dark Chocolate Grated or shaved, for topping
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Line two flat oven trays with baking paper and draw a 23-25cm circle on each piece of paper by tracing around a dinner plate.
- When separating the egg whites be very careful not to get even a tiny bit of yolk in with the whites, or they will not beat properly.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar one tablespoon at a time while beating until glossy and stiff. Be careful not to overbeat though or the mixture may start to separate.
- Sift in the cacao powder, and then gently stir through the vinegar and chocolate with a large metal spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Mound half the meringue onto each circle, carefully smoothing the sides and top.
- Place the trays in the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature to 140C. Cook for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Do not open the oven door during the cooking period.
- You will know when the pavlova is ready when it is crisp around the edges but still a little soft in the centre. Turn off the oven, open the door slightly, and let the pavlova completely cool inside.
- If using cream whip it until soft peaks form.
- To serve, place one meringue disk onto a serving plate, spread it with half the cream and raspberries. Carefully place the other pavlova on top, pile on the rest of the cream, scatter with the remaining raspberries, and decorate with grated chocolate.