This delicious healthful salad recipe, with its zesty flavoursome dressing, is so quick and simple to prepare; perfect for these warm summer evenings or to take to a picnic or barbecue. Any leftovers even keep well overnight in the fridge and are great for lunch the next day.
Asian Cabbage Slaw goes beautifully with grilled or barbecued fish, chicken, beef or vegetables that have been marinated in a mixture of lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, chilli and coconut oil. It is also wonderful alongside satay, curries, dumplings, or any Asian style dish.
Asian Cabbage Slaw
- 1/4 Large Cabbage Red or white
- 1 Cup Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 Cup Mint Leaves Chopped
- 1 Small Red Onion Finely sliced
- 1 Long Red Chili Finely sliced, optional
- 6 Lime Leaves Centre ribs removed and finely sliced
- 4 Tbsp Lime juice
- 3 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil Melted
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Sugar Or rice syrup
- 1 Small Red Chili Diced
- Finely shave the cabbage. The best and easiest way to do this is with a mandolin, but if you don't have one use a large sharp knife and slice the cabbage very finely.
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients together, and then taste. It should have a lovely balance of spicy, salty, sweet and sour flavours. Adjust if necessary by adding more lime juice, coconut sugar, chilli or fish sauce.
- Toss the cabbage, herbs, onion, chilli and lime leaves with the dressing, and then serve.
- Add 2 tsp of grated ginger to the dressing.
- Toss some poached shredded chicken breast through the salad.
- Add some grated carrot, finely sliced red capsicums or sliced shallots.
- Sprinkle over some sesame seeds, toasted dried coconut, or chopped macadamias.
- To make this salad vegetarian and vegan replace the fish sauce with Braggs Liquid Aminos, coconut aminos, tamari or shoyu.
- Try adding a handful of sprouts; bean sprouts would be particularly good.