Are you looking for a healthy and delicious chocolate cake recipe this Easter? One that is raw, vegan, paleo, free from refined sugar, gluten and dairy, as well as easy to make? Well hello there amazingly rich and creamy Raw Choc Hazelnut Cake, with just a little hint of orange.
Use a 20cm springform tin with a removable base or you could use a larger cake tin and double the recipe.
Please note: You will need to soak the cashews for 6-8 hours before you start so it is a good idea to do this the night before.
Raw Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups Hazelnuts Raw, preferably activated
- 1/3 Cup Cacao Powder Raw
- 6 Dates Soft, fresh & pitted
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest Finely Grated
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Powder or extract
- 1/4 Tsp Salt Unrefined
- 2 Cups Cashews Raw, soaked in filtered water for 6-8 hours, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Maple Syrup Or rice syrup or coconut syrup
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk OR almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 Cup Hazelnut Butter**
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil Melted
- 1/2 Cup Cacao Powder Raw
- 2 Tbsp Orange Zest, finely grated
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Salt Unrefined
- 1/4 Cup Cacao Powder Raw
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup Rice syrup or coconut syrup*
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil melted
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Powder or extract
- 1 Pinch Salt Unrefined
- Hazelnuts For decoration
- Place all of the base ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles wet sand. Press the base firmly and evenly into the cake tin and place in the freezer.
- Next make the middle layer by blending the cashews, maple syrup and coconut milk until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the food processor occasionally. Be patient, this may take a few minutes.
- Add the remaining middle layer ingredients and blend until thoroughly incorporated. Pour this mixture on top of the base and return the pan to the freezer.
- To make the chocolate glaze for topping the cake, place all of the chocolate topping ingredients (except for the extra hazelnuts and orange zest used for decoration) into a small bowl and stir for a couple of minutes until very smooth. Pour over the cake and return to the freezer to set for 4 hours, or even overnight.
- Take the cake out of the freezer for about 15 minutes to soften slightly before slicing. Decorate with chopped hazelnuts and thin strips of orange zest. It keeps in the freezer beautifully for up to 3 weeks.
- Replacing the hazelnuts with pecans, walnuts or almonds would also be delicious.
- Try another nut or seed butter instead of hazelnut butter, such as almond, cashew or macadamia.
- If you would like to increase the orange flavour in the cake add a few drops of orange extract or food grade orange oil.