This is such a simple, fun recipe, that kids will not only love to eat but will jump at the chance to help make. The balls are free from nuts so great for school lunchboxes, as well as super-healthy with no refined-sugars and all the wonderful goodness of coconut and turmeric. They are also vegan and raw.
- 100g (1 cup) dried mango
- 1 & 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup rice syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2tsp grated lime zest
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder or 1/2 tsp freshly grated turmeric
- a pinch of unrefined salt
- extra 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, for rolling
1. Soak the dried mango in filtered water for about 30 minutes, then drain.
2. Place the mango, 1 & 1/2 cups desiccated coconut, rice syrup, coconut oil, lime zest, turmeric and salt in a food processor and blend until the mixture comes together and is quite smooth.
3. Roll into small balls and gently toss in the extra dried coconut.
4. Place on a tray in the fridge to set, and then store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
- Replace the turmeric with vanilla or with cinnamon.
- Use raw honey or coconut nectar instead of rice syrup. The result will be quite a bit sweeter.
- Replace half of the mango with freshly grated carrot.
- Try half dried pineapple and half dried mango for tropical bliss balls.
Makes: Approximately 20 balls
Preparation: 10 minutes, plus soaking time.