Gentle slow cooking results in the most succulent, moist and tender chicken you’ve ever tried, with lots of fragrant fresh herbs flavouring the chicken beautifully. It is so very simple to cook – just pop in a low oven and baste every now and then.
At The Health Emporium we sell organic free-range chicken sourced from Inglewood Farms. Inglewood Farms are dedicated to rearing premium quality chicken using strict certified organic farming methods. The taste and texture of their chicken is superior, as the birds are able to forage freely on dedicated grass areas, living as nature intended with fresh air and sunshine.
Slow Roasted Herbed Chicken
- 1 large Organic Chicken , about 1.8kg
- 4 tbsp Fresh Rosemary , finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Fresh Thyme , finely chopped
- 3 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes , optional
- 2 tsp Salt , unrefined
- 1 tsp Black Pepper , freshly ground
- 8 tbsp Butter, Duck Fat or Ghee , melted
- 1 Lemon , quartered
- 4 cloves Garlic , halved
- 4 sprigs Fresh Rosemary , extra
- 4 sprigs Fresh Thyme , extra
- Take chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- In a small bowl mix together the softened butter with the rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the chicken.
- Gently separate the chicken skin above the breasts from the flesh, creating 2 pockets. Stuff each of the pockets with 2 tablespoons of the herbed butter. This will ensure the breast meat is extremely moist and flavoursome. Carefully pull the skin back over the breasts so no flesh is exposed.
- Rub the rest of the herby butter all over the chicken, inside and out.
- Place chicken in a large baking dish, breast side up, and stuff with lemon quarters, garlic and extra rosemary and thyme sprigs.
- Put the chicken in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 120C (fan-forced).
- Roast for 3 and 1/2 hours, basting every hour, until the chicken is golden brown.
- Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving and drizzling with the delicious pan juices.
- Cook some roasted potatoes and fennel with the chicken. Chop 8 peeled potatoes and 2 fennel bulbs, toss with some melted butter, duck fat or ghee, salt and pepper, and place in the baking dish around the chicken after the chicken has been in the oven for 2 hours. Gently roast, basting with the pan juices occasionally.
- Serve with a lovely fresh leafy green salad.
- Vary the fresh herbs by including marjoram, basil, parsley or sage.
- Make a beautiful soup with any leftovers. See the 'Nurturing Chicken Soup' recipe on The Health Emporium website.
- *This recipe is inspired by one from Anthia Koullouros' wonderful book 'I am Food' and by one from the Epicurious website.