This tasty dish is so easy to prepare and makes both a quick and delicious mid-week dinner or a great dish to share when you have friends over. If making it for children you can always reduce the amount of chilli. Mussels are a nutritional powerhouse – a wonderful source of omega-3 fatty acids, protein, zinc, folic acid, selenium, iron and iodine, and as a result are anti-inflammatory, immunity boosting and brain enhancing.
At The Health Emporium we sell the delicious chorizo from Gamze Smokehouse that is free range, preservative free, naturally wood smoked, gluten free and hand crafted.
Spicy Spanish Mussels
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 100 g Chorizo , free range and preservative free
- 1 large Onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , crushed
- 125 ml White Wine , or chicken broth
- 1 kg Very Ripe Tomatoes , finely chopped
- 2 tsp Maple Syrup , rice syrup or coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp Saffron Threads , optional
- 1/2 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Salt , Himalayan or sea
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 kg Black Mussels
- 4 tbsp Flat Leaf Parsley , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Melt butter in a large pot. Finely chop the chorizo and gently cook it for about 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the onion to the pan and slowly cook until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir through the garlic and then pour in the wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the tomatoes, maple syrup, saffron, chilli, salt and pepper and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the mussels, which is very quick and easy to do - just run them under water, discarding any with broken shells and then de-beard them by pulling off the brown threads with your fingers.
- Add the mussels to the pan and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, until the mussels have all opened. Do not overcook them.
- Stir through the parley, drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with a green salad.
- Serve with toasted sourdough bread rubbed with garlic.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped roast capsicum along with the tomatoes.