Apples so just good at this time of year, the ultimate autumnal fruit, so it is a great idea to find as many ways to enjoy them as you can. These delicious muffins are free from grains, gluten and refined-sugar, as well as paleo friendly. Fragrant with spices and moist with delicious organic apple, you will love to eat them warm from the oven, spread with a little butter or coconut butter. They can also be frozen and defrosted for a super quick and healthy breakfast.
Spiced Apple and Cinnamon Muffins
- 2 cups Almond Meal , blanched
- 2 tsp Baking Powder , aluminium free
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice , or ground nutmeg
- 1 & 1/2 tsp Vanilla , powder or essence
- 2 large Pastured Eggs , lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil or Butter , melted
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup , or raw honey
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk , or full-cream milk
- 1 Organic Orange , finely grated zest
- 2 medium Organic Apples , skin left on and cut into small dice
- 3 tsp Flaked Almonds , or coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 160C (fan forced) and line a muffin tin with paper cups.
- Mix the almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice and vanilla together until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, coconut milk and orange zest. Do not over-mix the batter as this usually results in dry and tough muffins.
- Gently fold through the apples.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and top with a sprinkle of almond flakes.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through.
- Replace the apples with other in-season fruits, such as pears, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, banana, plums or peaches.
- Add a handful of roughly chopped walnuts, pecans or macadamias.
- Make a lovely apple and cinnamon cake by baking the same mixture in a lined 20cm springform tin for 1 hour, or until cooked through.