Ward off colds and flus this winter with this easily prepared nurturing tonic. Bone broth is a magic potion filled with immune-boosting vitamins and minerals, as well as powerful gut-healing properties. A healthy gut, with a wealth of good bacteria, is a key aspect of optimal immune function. Ginger and turmeric are both anti-inflammatory and antiseptic, the black pepper improves the function of the turmeric and ginger, the lemon juice is high in vitamin C, and cayenne pepper helps to reduce fever and lessen congestion and coughing.
Flu Fighting Elixir
- 1 cup Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 tbsp Finely Grated Fresh Ginger
- 1 tbsp Finely Grated Fresh Turmeric , or 1 tsp powdered turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper , optional
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Lemon , juiced
- Gently simmer the bone broth, ginger, turmeric, chilli and pepper over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Strain into a mug and add lemon juice.
- Sip until you feel better.
- A spoonful of miso - a Japanese immune-boosting superfood.
- A splash of apple cider vinegar.
- A little kim chi for some extra spiciness.
- For a Vegetarian Tonic: replace the bone broth with 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar and 3/4 cup of water and add 1 tablespoon of raw honey.