We are very excited to have a guest recipe today from the lovely Meagan from Meru Miso. If you haven’t yet tried Meru’s range of organic, Australian-made, small-batch products you should as they are incredibly delicious as well as a powerhouse of prebiotics, probiotic bacteria and enzymes.
Using Meru Sweet White Miso in this caramel slice recipe adds a gorgeous saltiness, wonderful when combined with caramel and chocolate, that is so much better than any salted caramel slice we have ever tried. It has that amazing umami flavour that makes sweet flavours more complex and interesting.
Miso Caramel Slice
- 10 Dates
- 3/4 cup Mixed Almonds and Cashews
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 10 Dates
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Meru Sweet White Miso
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup , or rice syrup
- 1 cup Raw Cashews , soaked
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Cacao Powder
- Soak the 1 cup of raw cashews that you will be using for the caramel in filtered water for at least 6 hours. Drain and rinse.
- Line a 20cm square slice tin with baking paper.
- For the base - blitz all ingredients in a food processor until crumbly and mix will press together. Press into the tin and place in freezer for about an hour or until set.
- For the caramel - blend everything together in a food processor and add just enough water to help the mixture stay loose in the mixer. As it warms, it will loosen up so don’t use too much water. Blitz until a smooth paste - be patient this will take a few minutes. Spread on top of base and return to freezer.
- For the chocolate topping - mix ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over a very low heat - stirring constantly. The mix will eventually come together and look like a thick sauce. Allow to cool slightly and spread on top of chilled caramel layer.
- Return to freezer for the final time and when it is ready, slice it up and store in fridge - if there is any left!