If you love coconut and chocolate these macaroons are the perfect, easy-to-make treat. Crunchy on the outside and deliciously moist on the inside, they are grain and gluten free and not overly sweet. They’re also wonderful for school lunch boxes as they contain no nuts.
Coconut Macaroons with Chocolate Drizzle
- 4 large Pastured Egg Whites*
- 3 cups Desiccated Coconut
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup , or softened raw honey or rice syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 pinch Himalayan or Sea Salt
- 80 grams Organic Chocolate , refined-sugar free
- 3 tsp Desiccated Coconut , extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 150C (fan forced) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy.
- Fold in the rest of the ingredients until combined.
- Press the mixture into balls with a small ice cream scoop or with slightly moistened hands. Place them onto the baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let the macaroons cool completely - approximately 1 hour.
- Bring a small saucepan with 3cm of water to a simmer. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place it in a bowl on top of the pan. Don't let the bowl touch the boiling water. Stir the chocolate occasionally until it has melted and is smooth. Don't let any water come into contact with the chocolate or it will harden.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and, working quickly, while the chocolate is still warm drizzle it over the cooled macaroons. Sprinkle a little desiccated coconut over the top of each.
- * Save the egg yolks for making omelettes, frittatas, smoothies, ice cream, custard, mayonnaise or aioli.