A healthy Christmas cake that is raw, vegan, grain-free, gluten-free and has no added sweetener. It is made with a delightful mixture of spices, dried fruits, nuts and orange zest for a lovely festive dessert and is quite reminiscent of a panforte.You will also just love how quick and easy it is to make.
You can vary the fruits, nuts and spices to add your favourites if you like. Pistachios, hazelnuts, dried cherries, currants, ground cloves, vanilla or mixed spice would all be gorgeous additions.
Raw Vegan Christmas Cake
- 2 tsp Coconut or Macadamia Oil
- 1 Large Orange
- 4 tbsp Brandy , or strong black chai tea
- 8 Medjool Dates , pitted
- 100 grams Macadamias
- 200 grams Almonds
- 100 grams Walnuts
- 250 grams Dried Figs
- 100 grams Dried Cranberries
- 250 grams Raisins
- 250 grams Sultanas
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Allspice
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- Extra Almonds or Macadamias for Decoration
- Brush a 20cm springform tin with a little coconut or macadamia oil.
- Finely grate the zest of the orange and then juice it.
- Combine the orange zest and juice with the brandy and dates. Set aside while preparing the rest of the cake.
- Place macadamias, almonds and walnuts in a food processor. Pulse until quite finely chopped but with still with some small pieces. Set the nuts aside.
- Put the dates, their soaking liquid, all of the other dried fruits and spices into the food processor and process until they are crumb-sized pieces but not a paste. Blend in the ground nuts until combined.
- Press the mixture into the cake tin, decorate the top with the extra nuts and place into the fridge to set for at least an hour or overnight.
- Cut the cake with a wet sharp knife to serve. The cake lasts for at least 3 weeks covered in the fridge.