Mexican is a dream dish for families and when cooking for large groups as everyone absolutely loves it. Wrap this deliciously spiced chilli up soft tortillas or serve it on top of salad leaves or rice. Either way accompany it with slices of avocado or guacamole*, a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt and a squeeze of fresh lime. Buttered corn on the cob would also be a lovely on the side.
You can make a big batch of this dish as it both reheats and freezes well and makes a tasty lunch to take to school or work in a thermos.
If your children are not fond of spicy food you can reduce or leave out chilli and substitute the chorizo for bacon.
Mexican Beef and Chorizo Chilli
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion , finely diced
- 1 medium red capsicum , diced
- 100 grams free range chorizo* , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1/2-1 tsp chipotle chilli powder , or chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika , or sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 500 grams organic beef mince
- 1 cup beef bone broth , or stock
- 400 grams very ripe fresh tomatoes , or tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves , chopped
- Heat the butter or olive oil in a large pot over a low heat. Stir in the onion and capsicum with a large pinch of salt and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Sir in the chorizo and cook for 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, spices and beef mince. Stir, breaking the beef apart, and cook until the beef is brown all over.
- If using fresh tomatoes roughly dice them.
- Add the beef broth, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the coriander leaves.
- Serve with avocado slices or guacamole*, sour cream or yoghurt, lime wedges and salad leaves. Also delicious with corn tortillas or on top of rice.
- We stock and love the all natural gluten-free tortillas from La Tortilleria, made with only two ingredients (corn and salt). They are delicious!
- At The Health Emporium we sell the delicious chorizo from Gamze Smokehouse that is free range, preservative free, naturally wood smoked, gluten free and hand crafted.
- *For the easiest guacamole mash 2 avocados with a fork until very smooth. Stir in 2 tbsp of finely sliced coriander leaves, 1/4 tsp ground cumin, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, salt, pepper and the juice of 1-2 limes to taste.