Delicious little Italian chicken meatballs served with lemon mayonnaise are a lovely appetiser and so very easy to make. You could also make them into larger balls or patties and serve them with a salad as a main course. These meatballs are grain and gluten free, as well as keto friendly.
I love and always use the amazing Good Fat mayonnaise from Undivided Foods Co. It has the best ingredients and a fabulous taste and texture.
This recipe is inspired by a wonderful website called Italy on my Mind.
Chicken, Parmesan & Basil Meatballs with Lemon Mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 medium zucchini , finely grated
- 1/2 medium onion , finely grated
- 500 grams organic chicken mince
- 1 large organic egg
- 3 tsp capers , roughly chopped
- 1 & 1/4 cups parmesan cheese , finely grated
- 1 cup basil leaves , chopped
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb mix or dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Remove the zest from the lemon and finely chop it. Set aside a teaspoon of zest to mix into the mayonnaise later.
- Squeeze the grated zucchini and onion until very dry.
- Put the chicken mince, lemon zest, zucchini, onion, egg, capers, parmesan, basil, dried herbs, salt and pepper into a large bowl and combine well with your hands. If the mixture seems too wet add a little more finely grated parmesan.
- Roll into small meatballs and cook them in a large frypan in olive oil or butter until brown all over, for about 10 minutes. Be very careful when turning them as they are quite delicate and may fall apart.
- Mix the reserved lemon zest into the mayonnaise.
- Serve the meatballs warm with the lemon mayo and lemon wedges on the side.