Delicious little Italian chicken meatballs served with lemon mayonnaise are a lovely appetiser and so very easy to make. You could also make them into larger balls or patties and serve them with a salad as a main course. These meatballs are grain and gluten free, as well as keto friendly.
We love and always use the amazing Good Fat mayonnaise from Undivided Foods Co. It has the best ingredients and a fabulous taste and texture.
This recipe is inspired by a wonderful website called Italy on my Mind.
Chicken, Parmesan & Basil Meatballs with Lemon Mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 medium zucchini , finely grated
- 1/2 medium onion , finely grated
- 500 grams organic chicken mince
- 1 large organic egg
- 3 tsp capers , roughly chopped
- 1 & 1/2 cups parmesan cheese , finely grated
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves , chopped
- 2 tsp dried Italian herb mix or dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Remove the zest from the lemon and finely chop it. Set aside a teaspoon of zest to mix into the mayonnaise later.
- Squeeze the grated zucchini and onion until very dry.
- Put the chicken mince, lemon zest, zucchini, onion, egg, capers, parmesan, basil, dried herbs, salt and pepper into a large bowl and combine well with your hands. If the mixture seems too wet add a little more finely grated parmesan.
- Roll into small meatballs and cook them in a large frypan in olive oil or butter until brown all over, for about 10 minutes. Be very careful when turning them as they are quite delicate and may fall apart.
- Mix the reserved lemon zest into the mayonnaise.
- Serve the meatballs warm with the lemon mayo and lemon wedges on the side.