Panforte is a spicy fruit and nut dessert originally from Siena in Tuscany traditionally served at Christmas. In this recipe our version is flourless and gluten-free. It is so easy to make and would make a beautiful homemade Christmas gift for your friends and family.
Flourless Panforte for Christmas
- 1 organic orange
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts or walnuts
- 3/4 cup prunes , diced
- 3/4 cup dried figs , diced
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 4 tbsp honey
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder , extra for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 150C. Lightly grease a 22cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Remove the zest from the orange and chop it finely.
- Roughly chop the nuts and place them in a large bowl with the orange zest, prunes, figs, cacao powder and the spices. Mix the ingredients altogether.
- Simmer the honey and coconut sugar for 2 minutes in a small saucepan, then pour over over the top of the fruit and nut mixture. Stir for a few minutes, until well combined. Spoon into the cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake the panforte for 30 minutes and then cool in the tin. Sprinkle with the extra cacao powder and store in the fridge.