These incredibly tasty, easily-prepared eggs, served with a lovely fresh green salad, make a perfect protein and veggie rich brunch or light dinner. Your family and friends will request them again and again!
At The Health Emporium we sell the delicious chorizo from Gamze Smokehouse that is free range, preservative free, naturally wood smoked, gluten free and hand crafted.
Spanish Baked Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Olive Oil
- 250 G Chorizo , free-range and preservative-free
- 1 Small Spanish Onion , diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic , finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Oregano Leaves , fresh, chopped (or 2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1/4 Tsp Chili Flakes , dried (optional)
- 2 Cans Cannellini Beans , (400G each), drained and well rinsed
- 1 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar , or lemon juice
- 4 Cups Very Ripe Tomatoes , diced or tinned tomatoes
- 2 Cups Tomato Passata
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- Sea Salt , unrefined
- Black Pepper , freshly ground
- 4 Eggs , organic
- 100 G Goats Cheese , soft
- 4 Tbsp Parsley , flat leaf, finely sliced
- Olive Oil , for serving
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Slice the chorizo or sausages into 1cm pieces. Heat the ghee or butter in a wide, ovenproof pan, add chorizo or sausage and cook over a low heat until lightly golden on each side, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir through the onion, cook until very soft, and then add the garlic, oregano and chilli and cook for another minute.
- Add the cannellini beans, vinegar, tomatoes and tomato paste and gently simmer for 10 minutes until thickened, adding a little water if it looks too dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- With a spoon make 4 holes in the mixture and crack an egg into each. Crumble over the goat's cheese and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes, which will give you eggs that are cooked but still a little runny.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately with a large green salad.
- This recipe can be easily transformed into an equally delicious Middle Eastern flavoured dish of spicy baked eggs called Shakshuka, by substituting the sausages with 2 large sliced red capsicums, adding 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp harissa, and using coriander instead of parsley.
- To make this a vegetarian dish, simply replace the chorizo with sliced mushrooms, capsicums or eggplant.
- If you wish to avoid legumes leave out the cannellini beans and add 3 large sliced yellow or red capsicums.
- Try this dish with haloumi instead of goat's cheese.