No one will dispute the fact that nuts and seeds are a good source of dietary fibre and provide a wide range of essential nutrients to our body. There are however mixed opinions concerning how we should eat them. Many would say roasting nuts and seeds removes their nutritional value, others would prefer theirs raw. However, new information has become available suggesting that activating is the best way to consume, making it easier for the body to absorb important nutrients and also easier to digest.
‘2die4 Live Foods’ have produced a range of activated nuts and seeds which have been long-soaked in water, fresh whey and whole, raw Celtic sea salt. The nuts are then long-dried (dehydrated, not cooked) at very low temperatures. This captures, and does not kill the nutrient-enlivening transformation that takes place with fermentation, which simply re-ignites once the nuts are popped into your mouth. 2 Die 4 Activated nuts and seeds become noticeably lighter, tastier, free of bitterness and more nourishing.
The 2die4 brand was created in 2004, in a Byron Bay home kitchen by Clive Lawler who accidentally started 2die4 Live Foods, by experimenting with fermentation and dehydration (long soaking/low temp-drying) of many different nuts and seeds. Eventually, it became obvious that the taste and nourishment value of his WALNUTS were not only “2die4”, but also marketable. Before long he was also activating ALMONDS, PECANS, PISTACHIOS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS and HAZELNUTS. The commercial kitchen is now situated in the Byron Bay industrial estate and Jon Henning has expanded the range to also include the activation of PEPITAS, BRAZILS, MIXED NUTS and in response to recent public demand a VEGAN MIX.
What was the inspiration behind 2die4 activated nuts?
Clive read a book by Sally Fallon called “Nourishing Traditions”
Why should nuts be activated?
Raw nuts contain phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors that can reduce the body’s ability to absorb certain nutrients properly. Eating large amounts of raw nuts can put extra pressure on your digestive system and may cause uncomfortable digestive symptoms like bloating, heaviness and nausea. So what’s the answer? Activate them!
Does 2die4 produce any other activated/fermented products besides seeds and nuts?
We are also currently producing Activated Muesli
What does the future hold for 2die4 Live Foods?
We may be doing cedar nuts next year and talk of Chocolate coating of a few of the nuts
2die4’s ACTIVATED nuts and seeds are still crunchy but far easier to digest. They are alive, not at all taxing on the body and tastier too! Activation of nuts and seeds via 2die4’s methods induces a totally different body response. To experience this for yourself drop into the Health Emporium where we are stocking the whole range of these highly beneficial beauties.
RECIPES & SUGGESTED USES FOR 2DIE4 LIVE FOODS’s ACTIVATED PRODUCTS
• Always store in fridge or cool room
• Nuts have been dehydrated at low temperatures to preserve enzyme action and nutrient content.
• You may cook/roast for flavour enhancement, but this will reduce nutrient value.
• Successfully combined with both sweet and savoury dishes.
• Add to muesli, fruit salad, yoghurt, any dessert in fact.
• Add to entrees, main courses, baked vegies, green salads, prawn cocktails, pizzas, pasta sauces.
• Brilliant with Roquefort or Gorgonzola cheese as a pasta or bean sauce.
• Blending with a little olive oil, coconut oil, fresh raw cream or even water creates a superb nut butter for toast and bread, or as a thickener for any sauces, marinades.
• A great kids’ food, especially as a pre-chewed treat for babies.
Written by Prue Rustean