Middle Eastern flavoured tender organic chicken skewers, with a beautiful zesty marinade of walnuts, lemon and mint, are perfect for a summer barbecue or easy family dinner. The aroma of them grilling over the coals is just mouth-watering!
Moroccan Chicken Skewers
- 12 Skewers Wooden or metal
- 500 G Chicken Thighs Organic, cut into long thin strips
- 2 Cloves Garlic Crushed
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts Either activated or lightly toasted
- 1 Small Red Chili Or less if desired, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mint Leaves Chopped
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Lemon Juiced and zested
- 1/2 Tsp Salt Unrefined
- Black Pepper Freshly ground
- 2 Tbsp Macadamia Oil Ghee or coconut oil*
- Olive Oil For serving
- Coriander Leaves For serving
- Lemon Cut into wedges, for serving
- Salad For serving
- 250 Ml Sheep's Milk Yoghurt
- 1 Small Lebanese Cucumber Grated, and squeezed dry
- 1/2 Clove Garlic Crushed
- 1/2 Cup Mint Leaves Very finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt Unrefined
- Black Pepper
- If using wooden skewers soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes, to prevent them burning.
- In a food processor (or a large mortar and pestle) blend the garlic, walnuts, chilli, coriander, mint, cinnamon, lemon, salt, pepper, and oil or ghee until combined.
- Pour the marinade onto the chicken strips and mix well.
- Set aside in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, up to a few hours.
- Meanwhile make the yoghurt dip by mixing the ingredients together and tasting for seasoning.
- Thread the chicken onto the skewers.
- Cook on a preheated barbecue or grill pan for approximately 4 minutes on each side.
- Drizzle the skewers with olive oil, sprinkle with coriander leaves, and serve with lemon wedges, yoghurt dip, and a salad of leafy greens and herbs.
- This recipe would work beautifully with lamb backstraps or cutlets.
- The chicken could be replaced with salmon or with any firm white fish.